Many appliances help consumers prepare meals and clean.
However, they may also cause fires that lead to serious injuries and death.
County residents can prevent appliance fires in their homes by taking some precautions.
Dryers and washers shouldn’t be overloaded with clothes, towels, sheets and other items, according to a release from the Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (PWCDFR).
Community members are advised to clean a dryer’s lint filter before or after it’s used and remove lint from the venting system each year.
It’s also suggested that dryers not be allowed to run when members of the home aren’t home or are asleep.
The department recommends that consumers repair appliances and lamps that spark as soon as possible.
Electricians should be contacted if an outlet isn’t working, lights are flickering, or a light switch is hot when touched.
More information is available on the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) website and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) website.
© Copyright 2018 What's Up Prince William. All Rights Reserved