Do you know the story behind the large stone building at Broad Run?
The five-story stone building that stands at Broad Run near I-66 and Route 55 was actually known as the Chapman-Beverly Mill during its heyday.
According to a release, the mill was built in 1742 and is considered an important historic property in Prince William.
The mill’s history had its fair share of ups and downs – in 1858, a fire damaged the mill, but when it was rebuilt the builders added two additional stories onto the building.
“The mill furnished food products during five wars, beginning with the French and Indian Wars. The mill played a critical role in the Battle of Thoroughfare Gap during the Civil War when forces took turns occupying the mill,” stated Chapman-Beverly Mill Historic Site Executive Director Frances Allshouse in a release.
The Union forces held the building until August 1862, when the Confederate and Union troops fought in the battle, according to a release.
“Initially, it was occupied by the Confederacy. It was then taken over by the Union, who were trying to hold it to keep the Confederacy from joining up with troops that were basically getting ready to start the Battle of the Second Manassas. The Confederacy ended up pushing through and occupying the mill again,” stated Allshouse in a release.
While the building was already several centuries old, it actually remained in operation as a mill until the 1940s. A second fire took place in the building happened in 1998, and after that, non-profit Turn the Mill Around Campaign worked to stabilize the structure.
“With the mill now stabilized, plans call for pedestrian pathways around the mill for views of the millpond, the sluice gate, the flume and the 29-foot mill wheel. Long-range plans call for getting the mill wheel turning to produce a bit of hydro-electricity,” stated Allshouse in a release.
While the mill is currently closed for work, it will be open on Saturdays and Sundays to the public in the spring this year.
For more information about the mill, click here.