Those using or buying hand sanitizer may want to take a second look at the bottle.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is encouraging the public to avoid certain products that Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico is producing.
They contain Methanol, and if this ingredient is swallowed or used on the skin it could be toxic, according to the FDA.
Eskbiochem manufactures these items:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer
Consumers are advised to no longer use the products and throw them away in hazardous waste containers.
Anyone who used hand sanitizer that has methanol are advised to get treatment as soon as possible.
Blurred vision or blindness, damage to the nervous system, seizures, comas, nausea and vomiting, headache, and death are side effects of being exposed to large amounts of methanol.