Dumfries is gaining representation in a statewide organization.
Dumfries Mayor Derrick Wood is the new At-Large Member for the Virginia Municipal League’s (VML) Executive Committee.
The committee chose him for the open role on February 6, according to a release from VML.
“VML is pleased to welcome Derrick to the Executive Committee,” VML Executive Director Michelle Gowdy said in a release. “His experience as an elected official and business owner will be an asset to the Committee’s work on behalf of our member localities.”
Wood will complete the term, which ends in October.
“I am excited for this opportunity to work with elected officials from all over Virginia to bring solutions that impact our communities,” Wood stated in an email to What’s Up Prince William.
The Executive Committee oversees VML, a non-profit that seeks to help local governments in various ways, including research and education.
Eight counties and 160 towns make up VML, which was founded in 1905.
Here are the Executive Committee members for 2020:
The full slate of the 2020 Executive Committee includes:
- President — City of Norfolk Council Member Thomas R. Smigiel Jr.
- President-Elect — City of Galax Council Member Willie Greene
- Vice President — City of Fairfax Council Member Jon Stehle
- At-Large Member — Town of Pennington Gap Vice-Mayor Jill Carson
- At-Large Member — Town of Vienna Mayor Laurie DiRocco
- At-Large Member — Town of Dumfries Mayor Derrick Wood
- At-Large Member — Town of Warrenton Council Member Sean Polster
- At-Large Member — Town of Farmville Vice-Mayor Chuckie Reid
- At-Large Member — Town of Marion Town Manager Bill Rush
- City Section Chair — City of Fredericksburg Council Member Charlie L. Frye Jr.
- Town Section Chair — Town of Herndon Mayor Lisa Merkel
- Urban Section Chair — City of Portsmouth Mayor John Rowe
- Immediate Past President — City of Roanoke Council Member Anita James Price