Prince William County officials are warning residents about a dangerous gas that has no color or odor.
Known as the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide poisoning leads to illnesses and deaths across the United States.
It can cause confusion, nausea and chest pain, according to a release from the Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (PWCDFR).
Community members can avoid carbon monoxide poisoning by installing alarms throughout a home and checking them once a month.
They are encouraged to follow the manufacturer’s directions when installing the alarms.
Chimneys and heating systems should be inspected by a technician each year.
The department released additional heating safety tips last week.
It’s also suggested that citizens use grills and generators outside, and make sure vents for various appliances, including dryers and stoves, are clear of snow.
More information is available on the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) website, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) website, and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.