As cooler temperatures settle in, county residents are turning to various heating options.
Using these appliances can lead to fires.
Members of the public can help prevent them by following some heating safety suggestions from the Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (PWCDFR).
The tips include cleaning fireplace and wood stoves and keeping combustible items away from them.
Homeowners are reminded to put fires out if they’re heading to bed or leaving. Ashes should be placed in a metal container, according to a release from PWCDFR.
Kerosene heaters aren’t intended for small spaces. Users are advised to open a door or window, clean kerosene heaters each year, and set up carbon monoxide alarms.
It’s recommended that extension cords not be utilized with electric space heaters.
Electric space heaters and portable heating options should be turned off when someone isn’t around.
Adults are also encouraged to keep children away from space heaters and fires.
Smoke alarms and sprinklers can help community members survive if a fire occurs.
© Copyright 2018 What's Up Prince William. All Rights Reserved