A project to add a new sidewalk to a piece of Antietam Road in Lake Ridge is now complete.
According to a release, the sidewalk piece was added to make things easier for pedestrians walking down the road, which was once gravel and grass.
“The project runs 1,900 feet from Woodfern Court all the way to Old Bridge Road and is near Antietam and Old Bridge elementary schools, Lake Ridge Middle School and Woodbridge Senior High School,” stated a release.
The project cost $930,000 – with federal funds paying 80% of the cost, and the county covering the other 20%.
The sidewalk is part of the “Safe Routes to School” program in Prince William County, which “is a partnership between local jurisdictions and the federal government to promote safe walking and bicycling to and from school,” stated a release.
“This is a public safety improvement and the people that live here on Antietam have been waiting for this for a very long time. This is fabulous for the Occoquan District,” stated Supervisor Ruth Anderson in a release.
© Copyright 2018 What's Up Prince William. All Rights Reserved